Re: dual booting

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 21:35, David Jardine wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 04:21:03PM -0700, Stephen A. Witt wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 May 2003, james leclair wrote:
> >

> > > Hello. Starting to get comfortable with Debian and am now looking to setup
> > > a dual boot with W2K. I will be starting fresh with a 20GB HD. So, I assume
> > > I would install windows first. Is this correct? Also, what reccomendations
> > > could anyone make regarding my linux partitions? 10 GB of this drive will
> > > be committed to windows, so, of the remaining 10 GB what should my deb
> > > partitions look like? Thanks all!
> > >

> > Yes, Windows thinks its the only thing in the world and must be installed
> > first. So you must create a partition for it first.
>
> Is this really true or just a self-perpetuating myth?
> I'm not much good at getting anything to work at all on
> my Debian/Windows machine, but - at least with slink and
> potato - I had no trouble booting with hda1=swap, hda2=
> Debian and hda3=Windows.  Perhaps because it's a small
> hard disk (1,2 GByte)?

MS-DOS and the Win95/98/ME systems need to be on what they think is C:,
which would mean the first drive that has a filesystem they can read
(FAT, VFAT, FAT32,) and preferably the first primary partition of the
first physical drive. NT/2K/XP can be anywhere, so long as the boot
loader can throw to them.

When I ran OS/2 on my old (old, old) 486, the first primary partition
was the OS/2 Boot Manager, with MS-DOS 6.22 on the second primary
partition. A data partition and OS/2 lived on the second drive.

The main consideration with the non-NT stream of DOS/Windows is that it
doesn't handle being confused about where it is among the partitions
with filesystems it understands.