Re: spamassassin server load

Quoting David Fokkema <dfokkema@ileos.nl>:
> Hi group,
>
> The system administrator at my university is somewhat unwilling to
> install spamassassin due to the server load. My thought is that the
> server load will not be too high if one uses spamc/spamd with a
> threshold message size set appropriately. Is this correct?

Using SpamAssassin in daemon mode does lessen the load, but it still
is a memory and CPU hog.  My backup mail server is a 133MHz 486.  It
runs Postfix, amavisd-new, and ClamAV just fine.  Enabling
SpamAssassin brought it to its knees.  amavisd-new links directly to
the SpamAssassin code, so the load is similar to spamd/spamc load,
possibly less.  The load w/ SA is at least three times the load
without it.

HTH,
  Jeffrey