Re: Can't install XML::Mini from CPAN on Woody

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:43:12PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> I'm trying to use VOCP (www.vocpsystem.com) on my Woody system.  It's a Perl
> program, and requires several modules from CPAN.  When I run the installer,
> it complains that it can't install the required module XML::Mini.
>
> Someone on the VOCP mailing list suggested I do this:
>
> 	perl -MCPAN -e shell
> 	install XML::Mini
>
> from the shell.
>
> Well, it tries to install the module, but I get errors of this form:
>
>       Fetching with LWP:
>         ftp://archive.progeny.com/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
>       LWP failed with code[400] message[FTP return code 000]
>       Fetching with Net::FTP:
>         ftp://archive.progeny.com/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
>       Couldn't fetch 01mailrc.txt.gz from archive.progeny.com
>       Fetching with LWP:
>         ftp://cpan.nas.nasa.gov/pub/perl/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
>       LWP failed with code[400] message[FTP return code 000]
>       Fetching with Net::FTP:
>         ftp://cpan.nas.nasa.gov/pub/perl/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
>       Couldn't fetch 01mailrc.txt.gz from cpan.nas.nasa.gov
>       Fetching with LWP:
>         http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
>       Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
>       Fetching with LWP:
>         ftp://archive.progeny.com/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
>       LWP failed with code[400] message[FTP return code 000]
>
> I know little about Perl and CPAN beyond "scripting language" and "module
> repository".  Can anyone who has experience with both Perl and Debian tell
> me what I'm doing wrong here?  I would appreciate it greatly.

First, install "dh-make-perl" and use it to build perl modules from
CPAN.  This will lower the probability that you will hose your perl
installation.

Second, you seem to have a problem with FTP.  Are you going through a
proxy or firewall?  I'd guess that you are, and your firewall doesn't
know how to NAT FTP connections.  You can try passive FTP or just
download stuff from CPAN via HTTP (use wget).

Finally, you don't _need_ to build stuff from CPAN via "perl -MCPAN -e
shell"; you can download the files manually and build locally (I still
recommend building with dh-make-perl though).  Just point your browser
at http://www.cpan.org and start navigating.  Most perl modules have
at least adequate documentation; if you've ever built software out of
a tarball you'll be able to handle it.

Cheers,

  Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things,
  because that would also stop them from doing clever things.
          -- Doug Gwyn