Re: What is Debian-User for?

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 06:16:10PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:

> In my opinion, this list will lose its "precious resources" sooner due
> to jackasses like yourself chasing them off with holier-than-thou
> attitude than it will to the occasional off-topic technical question.

I agree entirely.  Debian-User has certainly weathered its share of threads
that were far more off-topic than GPG under WinXP...

> "Opinions are like assholes ... everybody has one."  That doesn't mean
> you should go airing yours out in public.

Hehe!
You don't mind if I toss that in my signify file, do you?

> Now I think my point is made clear.  When I answered the gpg question,
> it took 30 seconds to give someone an answer.  Fine, he wasn't really a
> user of debian.  I apologize for sharing our precious knowledge with the
> second-class citizens.

And, of course, there's already the perfectly effective method that
Debian-user has been using all along for dealing with the OT brain-drain
(along with the flamewars, the trolls, etc):
When people get fed up with a topic, they quit replying.
When everybody gets fed up enough to quit replying, the topic goes away.

If somebody's question strikes *you* as being out-of-place enough as to not
warrant an answer, fine:  Don't waste *your own* precious time and human
resources answering it.  If your screen-space is at such a premium that you
take offence to seeing any replies to said message, fine:  Killfile the
thread.
If you feel that you are in a position to dictate what *other* people do
with their time and their knowledge, then you are laying claim to an
authority to which you have no right.  If you feel that an off-topic
question is an issue worthy of a multi-page flame, then you're probably in
the wrong place.  It seems very unlikely that the admittedly eloquent
rantings of a self-proclaimed asshole are going to turn this large,
vociferous, and largely anarchistic community into the single-minded
tech-support machine that you seem to be fantasizing about.
Maybe you should go set up a debian-user-moderated list somewhere for
like-minded purists.

	Adding my share of fuel to the fire...