Re: What is Debian-User for? (Was: Re: What is GnuPG UID for?)

* Soren Andersen (somian@adelphia.net) [030511 02:17]:
> I've read your response, which seemed far more a waste of time than my
> article, as it didn't make more than a half-hearted attempt to disprove
> my basic theorem: that over the long term, OT diversions of this List's
> resources (human resources) will be harmful.

Exactly my point.  This has now become an off-topic thread.  Your
"article" was a waste of time.  My "response" was a waste of time.  Your
"response" was a waste of time.  This message is a waste of time.  This
is now an off-topic thread, bordering on flamewar.

> If this is what you can muster in the way of ability to do logic, I'll
> have to hope I never come across any of your code.

Just because I choose not to engage in your "thorough discourse" (read:
intellectual masturbation) does not give you the right to judge my
ability to code, of all things.  How dare you, sir.

I look forward to your critique of my golf swing in your next "article"
as this is as on-topic as my ability to code.

If you really never want to see any of my code, I'd advise you to look
through /usr/share/doc/*/changelog.gz before you 'apt-get source'
anything.  You never know what you might come across.

In my opinion, this list will lose its "precious resources" sooner due
to jackasses like yourself chasing them off with holier-than-thou
attitude than it will to the occasional off-topic technical question.

> In what
> manner -- by what mechanism -- could I be characterized as trying to
> "moderate" this List? That's absurd.

By saying that we should "reject" such off-topic messages.  This sounds
at least a little like a suggestion for moderation of the list.

> I merely expressed an opinion --
> surely I have an unquestioned right to do that -- about a point of view

"Opinions are like assholes ... everybody has one."  That doesn't mean
you should go airing yours out in public.

> concerning the use of the List itself. As the poster before me did. His
> -- and your -- messages take up just as much screen real-estate in
> mutt's message-list view as my single posting did (regardless of the
> length I mean). The use of filters to manipulate the visibility of
> messages isn't something I am up to speed on yet -- I've had 15 other
> fires to put out on three different Debian installations (recent) first

If you're so busy with all of your fires that need extinguishing, why
the hell are you spending time lighting flames on debian-user?  Go read
about maildrop, procmail, spamassassin, and/or mutt's own filtering.

> -- and I submit that making more noise by telling people to "stop making
> noise about noise" is making you look like the larger fool than anyone
> else.

Fine, you made me look like a fool.  What do you want, a cookie?  It's
not about who's a fool.  I suppose it's not foolish to make noise about
making noise about making noise?

Now I think my point is made clear.  When I answered the gpg question,
it took 30 seconds to give someone an answer.  Fine, he wasn't really a
user of debian.  I apologize for sharing our precious knowledge with the
second-class citizens.  Now in the time I've spent responding to your
"article"s I could have been responding to other posts (probably 5 or 6,
by now) helping other people (including users of debian) with their
problems.  Instead, I'm dealing with this bullshit.

I consider the terrible future in which non-debian-users get answers on
debian-user a utopia compared to the one in which debian-user is reduced
to intellctual masturbation and pissing contests under the guise of
discussing what should be discussed.

a wasted precious resource,
Vineet
--