Re: Hard disk slows linux system

Thanks for the replies. Indeed, DMA seemed to be the problem as first I was
getting:

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.65 seconds =196.92 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 13.05 seconds =  4.90 MB/sec

and after configuring hdparm I got:
/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.47 seconds =272.34 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  3.96 seconds = 16.16 MB/sec

Is that resonable? these benchmarks are for a quite old 10GB HD but my new
120GB 8MB cache Western Digital drive was getting these results after
enabling DMA:

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.55 seconds =232.73 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.74 seconds = 36.78 MB/sec

which is not much faster...
I think the problem is solved but let me know if there's anything else to do.

Thanks again, Tal