Re: What is Debian-User for? (Was: Re: What is GnuPG UID for?)

* Soren Andersen (somian@adelphia.net) [030510 11:07]:
> If this was a low-volume List, it might not matter much. But in fact it
> is one of the highest-volume Lists I have ever seen, and OT inquiries
> suck away a precious resource: the attention of knowledgeable Debian
> GNU/Linux users (experts) who are needed by other Debian GNU/Linux users
> to get help with their Debian systems.

Well, I feel it's appropriate to point out that the original question
was far less distracting than this tirade.  Loosen up; it didn't hurt
anyone, and the question was in fact platform agnostic.  The OP having
pointed out that he was using windows was no more or less appropriate
than anyone else's "X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook" header.  The question
posed, and the answer I posted, was relevant to gpg-users on any
platform.  Perhaps the OP was using gpg to decipher messages sent by
colleagues who do use debian?  We don't know.  Perhaps some other debian
user will find the question and answer in the archives.  Maybe you just
picked a bad example to follow up on to make your point.

I see where you're coming from on this, but I think that this mission to
half-assedly moderate this list is, well, half-assed, and, frankly, a
waste of time.  Far bigger a waste of time than the occasional OT post.

I'm sure you could set up a local filter to dump all debian-user mail
containing "Windows XP" and not miss the false positives.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/