Re: Big problems w/ writing any type of cdrom

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 01:46:39PM -0700, Joris Huizer wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Sorry about all the confusion the past few days - but
> I really suspect things are terrible wrong when I burn
> CDs: both data CDs and debian installation cds seem to
> be malfunctioning !!
>
> I should have tested data CDs more before - but today
> I found those can't be mounted - just like the debian
> installation cds which can't be read completely
>
> I using this shell script to burn:
>

> #!/bin/sh
>
> mkisofs  -r   -o cd_image   "$1/"
> cdrecord -v speed=24 blank=all dev=0,1,0  -data
> cd_image
> cdrecord -v -eject speed=24 dev=0,1,0 cd_image

I'd try only the one invocation of cdrecord. Delete the line with
blank=all in it. Iff you are using CD-RWs do the blanking as a
separate, preceding step, by hand.

> When copying the contents off the cd, I get the
> following error output:
>
> hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekCompleteError }
> hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
>
> during the hole damn cd writing process, not a single
> other (custom) proces was running; One thing which
> feels wrong is, at first the fifo was 100% or 98% -
> but after some time it rapidly dropped to very low
> values ( < 10% ) - however, I don't know wether this
> has something to do with the incorrect burning

I should say it probably does. I don't think "burnproof" drives are
guaranteed 100% "burnproof" under all conditions.

What is the minimum fifo fill reported by cdrecord when it finishes?

What sort of HD/MB/CPU have you got?

Try setting speed=2 or something similarly slow and see if your fifo
fill levels improve. Use the -dummy option to experiment without
wasting CD-Rs.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons