open files and samba

short:
famd keeps folders on a samba share open, and the smbumount fails, how do i
fix it so that famd will release the files/folders so the samba share can
close?

long:
we have a couple of debian machines and we are using samba to file share
between them.  she is mounting her windows home and a common fat share from
my machine (she was using my machine as her primary pc).  she can edit and
view the files without any problems, but when she tryies to unmount them smb
seems to lock up, and kill -9 isn't killing it.  lsof shows that famd is
holding some folders open on the samba share, and kill -9 isn't killing that
either.  so what is the proper way to tell famd to release the files so we
can safely umount the smb shares?