Re: promise fasttrak 100 hardware-raid - merged comments

hi ya jochen

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Toens Bueker wrote:

> > > Can somebody tell my if there's a way
> > > to run a promise onboard controller (PDC 20265)
> > > in hardware-raid (1) mode on a Fujitsu-Siemens L100.

x> We are just running Red Hat 7.3 and FSC only
x> offers kernel-modules for RedHat, SuSE, RH AS -
x> and promise does not offer the source-code.

welcome to the world or proprietory hardware in an
open source environment !!

see the list of linux supported hardware raid

 	http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html

> > With Debian? No. We just recently deployed about 30
> > boxes of the L100 and used the Linux software-raid for it.
..

> But there are no tools for you (which exist for Linux
> software-raid) which help you to monitor the raid-devices,
> to add or remove partitions, etc.

one should be able to monitor hardware from the tools provided
by the vendor ??
	- promise fastrak is not quite up to puff

	though it looks real good on paper..

	http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20000329/fastrak66-14.html

if monitoring a raid system is important, there are tons
of ways to monitor software raid

	== sw raid is much better approach than hardware raid
	== for mirroring

> In our tests pulling the plug of one of the two disks did
> result in a crash of the box (same with Linux
> software-raid). There is no automatic re-synchronisation
> etc.

like your style of testing ... exactly what one has to do
and the system should be able to recover and continue
running w/o manual intervention.  though one might be
in degraded mode till the failed drive is fixed

once one plugs in a replacement drive, the raid subsystems
should resync itself, w/o being told to do so

more hardware and software raid

	http://www.1U-Raid5.net

c ya
alvin