Re: Why are so many packages "held back?"

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 09:50:13PM -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 11/05/03 Neal Lippman did speaketh:
>
> > I'm wondering why so many packages get held back. I run testing, and
> > when I do an apt-get upgrade, about 10-15 packages are being held back.
> > I would have assumed that all packages in testing were "up to date" for
> > the testing release, so why do things get held back?
>
>     They probably require new packages to be installed. Remember that
> upgrade never installs anything new. It only upgrades existing packages.
> If you want to clear most of those away, use dist-upgrade, which will
> install new packages.
>
>     Mike

	I routinely use dist-upgrade and last week file-rc and kudzu
	were held back.  Out of curiousity I tried install file-rc (not
	really smart since it is a one-shot installation) and quickly
	abandoned the attempt when warned that if I continued many key
	packages and one essential package would be removed.  I hope
	this is just a temporary problem.

	Tom