Re: Unsollicited video screen always on top

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 04:25:35PM -0700, Steven Yap wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 15:41, nate wrote:
> > Alexis Bunel said:
> > >
> > > I have a problem with my server X. The video output always stays on top,
> > > whatever program I might use (xine, mplayer, other...). For example, with
> > > Xine, I can't view my right-click menu.
> >
> > this is normal, the video playback program is writing directly to
> > the framebuffer of the videocard. this improves performance probably
> > 50-100x. but also acts screwy when stuff is tried to be viewed on
>
> I think this may be a bug in the Xv part of the radeon driver. Does
> anyone on the list using Nvidia or Matrox and the Xv extension have the
> same problem?

With my Nvidia, using xv, I do *not* get this behaviour. Mplayer's
right-click menu happily comes up on top of the video, I can place normal
windows over the video...

My Mplayer and my Nvidia drivers are "straight out of the box".
I've neither enabled nor disabled any 'extmod' ... What is an extmod?
The term doesn't seem to appear in Mplayer's manpage.

As a workaround for those who *do* have such behaviour, the Mplayer manpage
lists a bunch of keyboard shortcuts you could use instead of the
right-click menu.

	HTH