Re: Why dose dselect want to remove half the world when I try to install glade (testting)

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 08:30:11AM -0400, stan wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 12:43:15PM +1000, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 01:43:06PM -0400, stan wrote:
> > > I tired to install grlade on a stable/testing system today, and dselect
> > > wanted to remove a bunch of stuff. I'm using Gnome 1.4 on a stable/testing
> > > system.
> > >
> > > Why is it doing this,
> >
> > Because it apparently causes a conflict with a bunch of packages.
> >
> > > and what can I do to fix it?
> >
> > Either find the conflict yourself (using aptitude or apt-cache) or show
> > us the full error and perhaps someone can figure it out for you.
> >
> While I'm on the subject, could you clear up something for me?
>
> I built several "testing" machines over ayear agao, and I've been routinely
> doing (at least once a week) apt-get updtae, apt-get dist-upgrade for oaver
> a year without having any significant packeages removed. Have I jsut been
> lucky?

Yes.

> Is my practice a bad idea?

If you want a machine to remain stable, probably.  Sarge should mostly
work, but every now and then something bad/unexpected happens like this.
Another interesting one has php4 breaking a couple of months back while
libc was upgraded in sarge.

However, if you just keep an eye on things, you should be fine.  apt
won't remove things without you agreeing to it, so just make sure you
don't agree to remove anything you want to keep.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?