Re: gpm? how do I get this running?

karrottop wrote:

Ok, that worked, kinda.  I am getting some sort of mouse action, I can
randomly highlight, but I am getting no curser.  At least I am one step
closer

Kent West wrote:

Now try playing with the protocol. Generally a scroll-wheel ps/2 mouse will be "imps2". See "man gpm" or enter "help" (IIRC) when prompted for the protocol.

karrottop wrote:

well I can click to highlight text. But I am not getting any arrow, or
box as it may be for the pointer.  I would imagine that the protocol of
the mouse itself is functioning correctly as I can can highlight and
drag that higlight, I just cant pick where that highlight is going to
be.

=====
Quickie List Tips:  :-D
(As a general rule, replying at the top of a message (aka 'top posting') is discouraged on this list.) (Also, as a general rule, users are encouraged to reply to the list only, and not to both the list and the sender, unless otherwise requested. Some folks don't like to get double messages.)
=====

Now to get on to your mouse issues . . . .

You're not doing this from a terminal window from within X, are you? I would suggest shutting down X altogether to remove it from the equation for now. You're probably running a login manager, such as wdm or gdm; if so, logout of X, then Ctrl-Alt-Fn to get to a shell, and as root, run "/etc/init.d/kdm stop" (or 'gdm' instead of 'kdm', or 'xdm', or 'wdm' - one of these should do the trick).

No restart gpm ("/etc/init.d/gpm restart"). Does your mouse work properly?

If not, what type of mouse do you have? How many buttons? Scrollwheel? What type of connection: serial? usb? ps/2? What have you specified as the location and as the protocol in /etc/gpm.conf?