Re: Why are so many people using font servers?

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 03:51:27PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 12:39, Rob Weir wrote:

> > > And most HOWTOs were written back before v4...
> >
> > Hmm, that's a good point...Perhaps we need a new one?
>
> Probably so.  However, since only sarge and some recent Debian-based
> distros have defoma, and it does things so differently than standard
> XFree, it would have to be distro-specific...

I'm fairly sure woody has defoma, too.  What does it do differently?  I
admit I've never figured out how to get defoma to manage non-packaged
fonts, but adding /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType to my
XF86Config-4 was enough to let me use all the font packages that use
defoma already.

If you avoid defoma and just drop fonts somewhere and use mkfontdir and
mkttfdir, though, then you have to do the exact same steps regardless of
if you're using a font server; you just add the directory reference
somewhere else.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?