Re: Why are so many people using font servers?

On Sun, 11 May 2003 20:09:35 +0200 Morten Bo Johansen wrote:
> Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> wrote:
>
> RW> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 06:47:20PM +0200, Morten Bo Johansen
> RW> wrote:
>
> >> Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> wrote:
> >> I was under the impression that xfs is still needed whereas the
> >> truetype font server xfstt is superfluous as of XFree86 version
> >> 4.x.
>
> RW> To do what?  If you add FontPath entries to your
> RW> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, then X can see the fonts directly...
>
> I see. Then I suppose that the comment
>
>   # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
>
>   [ ..fontpaths follow..]
>
> that by default is included in XF86Config-4 is misleading?

In what way? It just tells you that mentioning those directories will enable
X to use fonts regardless of the presence of a running font server. No font
server is needed for local font usage under X, it's just a waste of computer
resources.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/