Re: Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 and kernel panic

Stephen Hargrove wrote:

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 22:03, Ron Johnson wrote:
Just to clarify: the original 40GB drive was (and still is) hda, and
that's what you're still trying to boot off of?

Yes.

Something tells me, that the adapter is confusing the BIOS about where to boot from. Have you looked in the PCs BIOS (or the Promise
BIOS, if possible) to see if the Promise is hijacking something?

I can't get into the Promise BIOS.  Everything on the PCs BIOS looks
good.  I had another fellow geek walk through it with me just to make
sure I wasn't overlooking the obvious.

Solving problems the hard way:

1. Back out your changes, and see if you can boot.

Yes.

2. Then, if that works, add a 120GB HDD as hdc and reboot.

Yes.

3. Then, if that works, add the Promise adapter (no HDD!!) and boot.

This is where the problem happens.  I'm thinking I need to add a root=
something parameter to lilo, but I'm not clear on exactly what that
would be.

When all of the HDDs are connected, /dev/hda (my primary) gets renamed
to /dev/hdi.

Somewhere in the CMOS and/or the card's BIOS, there should be a setting to override this drive reassignment.

However, you should still be able to get around this problem.

At the LILO: prompt, enter something like "linux single root=/dev/hdi1". This should get you far enough in to edit /etc/fstab and change all the references to /dev/hda to /dev/hdi, after which you should be able to boot normally. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend booting off a Knoppix CD or a Woody installer or Tom's RootBoot, etc, and fixing /etc/fstab that way. You may also have to modify /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo (assuming you're using lilo, and not grub, etc).

--
Kent

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)