Re: Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 and kernel panic

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 20:02, Stephen Hargrove wrote:
> I'm running Sarge with a custom 2.4.20 kernel.  Up until today, my
> server (Dell Poweredge 600SC) was running one 40Gb drive.  Today, I
> installed a 120Gb in the second IDE slot in the motherboard.  I also
> installed a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 adapter card (Promise) and attached one
> Maxtor 120Gb IDE Ultra ATA133 drive to each channel.
>
> As the system begins booting, it dies with the following:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "303" or 03:03
>
> I've searched Google and come up with some vague and sometimes
> conflicting solutions.
>
> If anyone can advise as to what boot option I need to pass, or how to go
> about determining what to pass, I'd appreciate it.

Just to clarify: the original 40GB drive was (and still is) hda, and
that's what you're still trying to boot off of?

Something tells me, that the adapter is confusing the BIOS about
where to boot from.  Have you looked in the PCs BIOS (or the Promise
BIOS, if possible) to see if the Promise is hijacking something?

Solving problems the hard way:

1. Back out your changes, and see if you can boot.

2. Then, if that works, add a 120GB HDD as hdc and reboot.

3. Then, if that works, add the Promise adapter (no HDD!!) and boot.

4. Then, if that works, add the last 2 HDDs and boot.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |