Re: Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 and kernel panic

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 22:03, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Just to clarify: the original 40GB drive was (and still is) hda, and
> that's what you're still trying to boot off of?

Yes.

> Something tells me, that the adapter is confusing the BIOS about
> where to boot from.  Have you looked in the PCs BIOS (or the Promise
> BIOS, if possible) to see if the Promise is hijacking something?

I can't get into the Promise BIOS.  Everything on the PCs BIOS looks
good.  I had another fellow geek walk through it with me just to make
sure I wasn't overlooking the obvious.

> Solving problems the hard way:
>
> 1. Back out your changes, and see if you can boot.

Yes.

> 2. Then, if that works, add a 120GB HDD as hdc and reboot.

Yes.

> 3. Then, if that works, add the Promise adapter (no HDD!!) and boot.

This is where the problem happens.  I'm thinking I need to add a root=
something parameter to lilo, but I'm not clear on exactly what that
would be.

When all of the HDDs are connected, /dev/hda (my primary) gets renamed
to /dev/hdi.

--
steve