Linux Firewalling - Further Adventures with DSL

Hello all,
one of the company's suppliers got wind that we where going to host web services on a DSL connection. They are now trying to convince management (and me) that Linux as a company firewall is not acceptable, that we need a CISCO PIX or equivilant to protect the company's network. Is this true? I have been using Debian as a firewall for a while now with no complaints, but on a dial-up. Putting the machine with a fixed IP for possible attacks is a different matter. Does anyone have information about the situability of Linux as a firewall over long periods? A comparison of Linux versus a hardware or proprietry software/hardware solution?
   Any other advice?

Thanks
Bill