Re: [DEB-USER] Linux Firewalling - Further Adventures with DSL

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 09:18:05AM -0400, William Cooper wrote:

> Hello all,
>    one of the company's suppliers got wind that we where going to host
> web services on a DSL connection. They are now trying to convince
> management (and me) that Linux as a company firewall is not acceptable,
> that we need a CISCO PIX or equivilant to protect the company's network.
>    Is this true? I have been using Debian as a firewall for a while now
> with no complaints, but on a dial-up. Putting the machine with a fixed
> IP for possible attacks is a different matter. Does anyone have
> information about the situability of Linux as a firewall over long
> periods? A comparison of Linux versus a hardware or proprietry
> software/hardware solution?

Dialup or DSL doesn't matter. What matters is your firewall filtering
rules and the services you advertise to the internet. Linux does an
outstanding job of this. I run a Coyote firewall on the 486 with no hard
drive on a DSL line. No problems.

Consider this: a large percentage of the internet runs on Linux servers.
If it's good enough for machine sitting directly on the internet, it's
certainly good enough for your firewall.

Paul