Re: Linux Firewalling - Further Adventures with DSL

On Fri, 09 May 2003 09:18:05 -0400
William Cooper <BillCooper@mailandnews.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>     one of the company's suppliers got wind that we where going to host
> web services on a DSL connection. They are now trying to convince
> management (and me) that Linux as a company firewall is not acceptable,
> that we need a CISCO PIX or equivilant to protect the company's network.
>     Is this true? I have been using Debian as a firewall for a while now
> with no complaints, but on a dial-up. Putting the machine with a fixed
> IP for possible attacks is a different matter. Does anyone have
> information about the situability of Linux as a firewall over long
> periods? A comparison of Linux versus a hardware or proprietry
> software/hardware solution?
>     Any other advice?

They're full of it.

However note well that if you intend to use a Linux firewall you (or whoever
will administer it) needs to be thoroughly familiar with ipchains or
iptables. That isn't really difficult, but it is a requirement.

Here is an excellent book for that:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735710996/qid=1052497854/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-8975958-6520022?v=glance&s=books

One of my LUG-mates is the IT director for a small hospital. He had a
Mandrake 5.? firewall that ran for two and a half years without a reboot and
none of his systems was ever compromised. He finally shut it down to install
a newer Linux system on it.

Kevin