Re: Linux Firewalling - Further Adventures with DSL

On Friday 09 May 2003 09:18, William Cooper wrote:
>     one of the company's suppliers got wind that we where going to host
> web services on a DSL connection. They are now trying to convince
> management (and me) that Linux as a company firewall is not acceptable,
> that we need a CISCO PIX or equivilant to protect the company's network.

So completely not true. I have used linux firewalls to protect company
networks since 1999. A pix is an over-priced solution. You can build a great
proxy/firewall for a 1/4 of the price of a pix.

>     Is this true? I have been using Debian as a firewall for a while now
> with no complaints, but on a dial-up. Putting the machine with a fixed
> IP for possible attacks is a different matter. Does anyone have
> information about the situability of Linux as a firewall over long
> periods? A comparison of Linux versus a hardware or proprietry
> software/hardware solution?

I had a linux firewall running on an Acer Power PI 133 with 16MB ram. The box
supported Internet traffic for 600 users. It had a very long uptime, the last
time I had looked it was at 385 days.

Syd

--
Syd Alsobrook
Unix/db Administrator

"One can only hope that the organization
obtains the desired results from the decisions
that have been made."