Re: grub configuration question

* Haines Brown (brownh@hartford-hwp.com) [030506 20:30]:
> Kevin,
>
> Thanks for the guidance for debian's web site. I've not had a chance
> to explore it fully yet.
>
> > > Bottom line: the following configuration causes Error 15: File not
> > > found.
> > >
> > >   title debian alt
> > > 	root (hd0,0)
> > > 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-686 root=/dev/sdb1
> > > 	initrd (hd1,0)/initrd.img-2.4.18-686
> >
> > In Debian both kernels and initrds are in /boot:
> >
> > kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-686 root=/dev/sdb1
> > initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-686
>
> I tried this and got an error about incompatible filesystems (sorry I
> don't have it more accurately). I'll try again and note the result.
>
> If the error repeats, and this is in fact the way to tell grub the
> exact location of the kernel, then I may have a filesystem problem. My
> grub works in an ext3 environment, but the debian kernal is in a
> reiserfs environment. Don't see how that could make any difference,
> but the error message may indicate incompatibility.

Well, it is significant.  Afaik, grub does understand resierfs, but it
is a different filesystem, and if grub is saying something about an
incompatible filesystem, it looks like a big red flag to me.  What
version of grub are you running?

As you correctly summarized in your other post, grub does mount the
filesystem, and understands the directories, files, and even symlinks.
It finds the kernel and initrd files within the filesystem (not just by
remembering a disk address like lilo).  So if it can't understand the
filesystem, it won't be able to read the files.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/