Re: grub configuration question

Vineet,

Thanks for the input. I've created, but not tried out yet, a grub boot
floppy to get around the problem of grub installed in ext3 trying
to boot a kernel located in a reiserfs.

I used the grub floppy image. That does not come with any menu, and so
I'm trying to add that to the floppy by creating a grub.conf file and
a symlink from debian's menu.lst to it (both grub.conf and menu.lst
apparently have the same syntax).

To get the spash screen, I added the image to the floppy and added:

   splashimage=/grub/splash.xpm.gz

In the grub configuration file, I set the root command to:

   root (fd0)

although it may end up (fd0,0)

The grub installation (on floppy as well) includes a set of files
associated with filesystems, and I assume these are drivers, and that
the appropriate one is selected somehow.

Is that done by the root command? If so, is not grub's file system
whatever filesystem was used to format the floppy? If so, wouldn't
that still cause a filesystem conflict error when it tries to load a
kernal located in a reiserfs /boot?

Although the grub boot instructions presume it is formatted ext2
(which I did), I gather it is best to format it FAT so that it is
accessible anywhere. On the other hand, wouldn't it have to be
formatted in the same filesystem as the target /boot? I'll perhaps
find out when I find an opportunity to reboot for a grub floppy boot.

Haines Brown