Re: grub configuration question

Kevin,

Thanks for the useful response, but it leaves questions.

> Debian Woody installs either kernel 2.2.19 or kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4,
> so if you want to specify the full kernel file name you need to use
> one of these; if a symbolic link vmlinuz points to a valid kernel
> you can just say vmlinuz.

I did an cross installation, and so I had to pick a kernel by hand,
and 2.4.18-636 seemed right (although I'm using reiserfs, and so
wonder if I must use 2.4.20). Are you saying that I _must_ use one of
the two you mention and no other?

> initrd images should be found in /boot/ if they exist; the kernels
> installed with Woody don't require them, and if you put an initrd
> line where one is not required the system won't boot.

An image file does exist, but it seems I don't need to refer to it in
(RedHat's) grub.conf if I'm using a stable unpatched debian
kernel. Would this apply to the 2.4.20 or 2.4.18-636? That is, are
these classified as "stable" kernels not requiring kernel modules to
boot?

> I recommend using grub interactively to boot your system with
> Debian.

I was paranoid about damaging the MBR of my primary hard disk,
and so did not install grub on the secondary (debian) disk. When I'm
comfortable with the debian setup on my secondary disk (kernel
recompile, configurations, key apps, etc.), then I'll swap the
priority of the two disks and set up grub on the debian disk and
disable it on the old RedHat disk which I'll then mount on the debian
system to access it's contents.

Haines Brown