Re: grub configuration question

On Mon, 5 May 2003 20:51:18 -0400
Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> wrote:

> My attempts to configure grub.conf to boot debian result in kernel
> "file not found" error.
>
> I am migrating from Red Hat on a primary HD (SCSI ID=0) to woody
> debian installed on a secondary HD (SCSI ID=1). I did a cross
> installation of debian on the secondary HD, including the kernel, but
> did not install grub on the secondary HD. Now am trying to boot debian
> with the grub boot loader installed on my primary HD.
>
> Here's one of the configurations I tried:
>   title debian 2.4.18-686
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz-2.4.18-686 root=/dev/sdb1
> 	initrd /initrd.img-2.4.18-686
>
> The primary disk's grub is in its /boot directory located on its first
> partition. Debian's kernel is located on the secondary hard disk /boot
> directory, which in this case is located under the root directory on
> the first partition. So I want to mount debian's root partition on
> /dev/sdb1.
>
> Examples of the grub.conf file show the kernel file name simply as
> "vmlinuz," and that's also what I get with name completion when I
> enter "kernel vm" TAB. However, is my assumption correct that the full
> kernel file name must be specified? (I did try "vmlinuz" with the same
> result as the full filename). The debian kernel is rw-r--r--.
>
> I do not know if debian must load modules to boot, but I assumed that
> the initrd command does no harm and, in any case, a "file not found"
> suggests to me the problem is at an earlier point. Do I need to
> specify the initrd? The initrd.img file is present in /boot/grub on
> the secondary disk, but no stage* files.

Debian Woody installs either kernel 2.2.19 or kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4, so if you
want to specify the full kernel file name you need to use one of these; if a
symbolic link vmlinuz points to a valid kernel you can just say vmlinuz.

In Debian the grub boot menu information file is /boot/grub/menu.lst.

initrd images should be found in /boot/ if they exist; the kernels installed
with Woody don't require them, and if you put an initrd line where one is
not required the system won't boot.

Go here to find a great article on grub:

I recommend using grub interactively to boot your system with Debian. Use
the filename completion feature to see just what files grub finds). Then
apt-get install grub on the Debian system. Check out "update-grub"; it's a
script to automagically create/modify menu.lst after you add/remove kernels
(there is no counterpart in RedHat AFAIK.)

Kevin