Re: serving CUPS printer over Samba to win98 client [SOLVED]

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 01:13:19AM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Fri, 2 May 2003 16:39:07 -0400 ScruLoose <scruloose+debuser@eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
> > [printers]
> >         path = /var/spool/samba
> >         printable = yes
> >
> > but /var/spool/samba doesn't exist.
> > This seems (to my inexperienced eye) like something that could well be
> > causing the error I keep getting...
> > Should I replace that path with something else? /var/spool/cups? (will
> > samba have enough permissions to access that and print successfully?)
> > Or should I create /var/spool/samba (and if so with what user, group, and
> > permissions?)
> > Also, should samba.conf contain parameters for 'browsable', 'public',
> > 'guest'...?
>
> I think you might be on to something. :)
>
> I don't know the answer. Try changing it to /var/spool/cups, and if that
> doesn't work change it back.

Hehe!  Well, /var/spool/cups did not make it happy...
What I ended up doing was copying the entire printers section from an
example smb.conf file like so:
[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = no
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes
        writable = no
        printable = yes
        printer admin = root

And then I removed "path = /var/spool/cups" from the global section
(dunno how it got there in the first place...)
Created /var/spool/samba and gave it permissions of rwx for *everybody*.
I realize that's a dirty hack, and as soon as I figure out what user and
group samba runs as, i'll fix up the ownership and permissions on that.

In the mantime, however, my girlfriend's win98 box is printing quite
happily to the 'raw' version of the printer, using hp's fancy-shiny
Windows driver stuff, so I have a 'known good' configuration to fall
back on if & when my experiments break it again.

	Thanks for the help!