Re: serving CUPS printer over Samba to win98 client

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 01:44:24AM -0400, ScruLoose wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> So I got me a brand new HP LaserJet 1200, got it installed in CUPS and
> printed a couple of test docs.  Very happy.
> I have Samba successfully serving some "shared directories" for my
> girlfriend's win98 box.
>
> Now what I want to do is to let her print to the new printer...
> And I noticed this bit here:
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#AEN1022
> where it's talking about installing the vendor-provided drivers on the
> Windows client machine, then having Samba and CUPS hand the print jobs to
> the printer 'raw' as it were...
>
> So I have already installed the drivers on the win98 client machine, and
> now I'm wondering where to find detailed instructions on how to set up this
> 'raw' printing in CUPS and how to tell Samba to share it (and once it's
> shared, how do I know what its 'location' will be from Windows' point of
> view?)

Hi,

If cups is working correctly, it is really easy to set this up for
samba. If have added this to smb.conf:

printing = cups
printcap name = cups

in the [global] section. Remember, if you have security is 'user', you
need to set up her passwords for samba. Probably you have that covered,
since you mentioned she can access the shared folders.

If all goes well, she can now browse your server and see the cups
printer appear in the network neighbourhood. If you set up the driver
correctly (smb printer on \\server\printername) it all will work
flawlessly. If not, double-click on the printer and windows will ask you
to install the driver for this printer. Then it should be working...

Aside: never got my girlfriend to switch to linux (yet)... She's all
hooked up in those proprietary document formats, :-(. Besides, if I
start openoffice.org, I can't really impress here with its startup time,
:-((. She firmly believes that linux is very hard to learn and use, and
well, that's my fault. I prefer ion and sometimes switch to wmaker if I
want SDL sopwith enclosed in a frame (very difficult to see the top of
the screen if there's no frame, ;-). I installed KDE, but it is soo
slow, so I rarely use it, merely to try something out. Oh well, why
would I want her to switch anyway...

David