Re: serving CUPS printer over Samba to win98 client

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 11:43:44AM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 01:44:24AM -0400, ScruLoose wrote:
> >
> > Now what I want to do is to let her print to the new printer...
> > And I noticed this bit here:
> > http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#AEN1022
> > where it's talking about installing the vendor-provided drivers on the
> > Windows client machine, then having Samba and CUPS hand the print jobs to
> > the printer 'raw' as it were...
>
> If cups is working correctly, it is really easy to set this up for
> samba. If have added this to smb.conf:
>
> printing = cups
> printcap name = cups
>
> in the [global] section.

Yep.  Those are in there.
Also there's a section later in smb.conf that says:

[lj1200]
	path = /var/spool/cups
	comment = hp_laserjet_1200
	printable = yes
	public = yes

> If all goes well, she can now browse your server and see the cups
> printer appear in the network neighbourhood. If you set up the driver
> correctly (smb printer on \\server\printername) it all will work
> flawlessly. If not, double-click on the printer and windows will ask you
> to install the driver for this printer. Then it should be working...

Well, she can *see* the printer in the network neighborhood, yes.  And when
I tell windows to 'install' it, the 'properties' tab shows
\\server\printername as you mentioned.  And I tell it "use existing driver"
(because I've already installed 'em from hp's CD)...  But then when I try
to print a test page I get:
  There was an error writing to \\shorty\lj1200
  The network name cannot be found.

Now I *know* the name of my Samba server and 'workgroup' are correct (she
can access my shared files, after all) and the printer name is the same one
CUPS is using...  So it kinda seems like a case of "everything looks right,
but it just doesn't work."
I don't need to be providing Samba with some sort of path info or somesuch,
do I?

And Kevin raises a good question:  *do* I need to add a 'raw' version as
another printer in CUPS?

Also, if anyone knows of docs that address this, I'll gratefully accept
pointers to 'em.  (I have no *objection* to being walked through it by the
hand, but I certainly don't *expect* it from you...)

> Aside: never got my girlfriend to switch to linux (yet)... She's all
> hooked up in those proprietary document formats, :-(. Besides, if I
> start openoffice.org, I can't really impress here with its startup time,
> :-((. She firmly believes that linux is very hard to learn and use, and
> well, that's my fault.
> Oh well, why would I want her to switch anyway...

Hehe. Yeah... Rather the same here, although my girlfriend is quite firmly
resistant to change in general, too.
As for why *I* would want *her* to switch:  because I do all her tech
support.  Whenever Windoze has one of its moods and decides to BSOD when
she's doing the same web-surfing and word-processing as any other day (just
to pick one example) it's me she comes running to to fix it...

	Cheers