Re: serving CUPS printer over Samba to win98 client

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:48:31PM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Fri, 2 May 2003 14:06:23 -0400 ScruLoose <scruloose+debuser@eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
> As I understand it, you now have two machines with the LJ1200 printer
> drivers installed -- her client machine and the CUPS server machine.

True.

<SNIP>
> The other printer will be "LJ1200Net" or something like that, and it will
> use raw input. It will accept print requests from the Windows machine(s).

Okay, that's done now --  I called it lj1200raw

> This way all client machines use the drivers for their own OSs/applications.
> So your girlfriend's computer should use the Windows drivers already
> installed.
>
> That way no matter who is printing, the print commands are translated only
> once.

Yeah... That's rather what I had in mind...

Keeping in mind that I'm using webmin for the most part when I make changes
to Samba...
I've told Samba to share all printers, and I seem to still have the
same problem as before.  Both printers (lj1200 and lj1200raw) can be seen
by browsing my server (SHORTY) in 'network neighborhood'.  On the windows
box, I've 'deleted' lj1200 and 'installed' lj1200raw, selecting the
windows-local drivers. Any attempt to print to it (eg firing off a test
page) still gets the same error:  "network name cannot be found" I think
was the wording.
So... I'm peering at samba.conf, and it has this little section:

[printers]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = yes

but /var/spool/samba doesn't exist.
This seems (to my inexperienced eye) like something that could well be
causing the error I keep getting...
Should I replace that path with something else? /var/spool/cups? (will
samba have enough permissions to access that and print successfully?)
Or should I create /var/spool/samba (and if so with what user, group, and
permissions?)
Also, should samba.conf contain parameters for 'browsable', 'public',
'guest'...?

	-Thanks