Re: serving CUPS printer over Samba to win98 client

On Friday 02 May 2003 6:44 am, ScruLoose wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> So I got me a brand new HP LaserJet 1200, got it installed in CUPS and
> printed a couple of test docs.  Very happy.
> I have Samba successfully serving some "shared directories" for my
> girlfriend's win98 box.
>
> Now what I want to do is to let her print to the new printer...
> And I noticed this bit here:
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#AEN1022
> where it's talking about installing the vendor-provided drivers on the
> Windows client machine, then having Samba and CUPS hand the print jobs to
> the printer 'raw' as it were...
>
> So I have already installed the drivers on the win98 client machine, and
> now I'm wondering where to find detailed instructions on how to set up this
> 'raw' printing in CUPS and how to tell Samba to share it (and once it's
> shared, how do I know what its 'location' will be from Windows' point of
> view?)

I am using the other alternate, which is to print using the adobe postscript
printer drivers and driving the cupsys stuff that way (I have an epson c80
colour printer).  I can't quite remember where I got the drivers from
(probably adobe) but they are now stored in /etc/samba/drivers (and refered
by the print$ share below in my smb.conf file.).  There are two directories
within /etc/samba/drivers, W32X86 and WIN40 - I guess one is the win98
drivers and the other win nt.

[global]

        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = alan
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        write list = alan
        guest ok = Yes

In cups, I even created two printers - one low resolution high speed, one slow
but high resolution, and both of these are now seen in windows.

- --
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk