Re: what is this error message?

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 11:23:46AM -0700, Ben Hartshorne wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 12:08:54PM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 May 2003 07:36:25 -0700
> > "Rodney D. Myers" <rdmyers@pe.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Not sure I follow. Still very new to the Debian way?
> >
> > You meant you're very new, right? Paul knows his way around Debian pretty
> > well.
> >
> > In the stable branch of Debian gcc is 2.95 and glibc(libc6) is 2.2. In
> > testing and unstable gcc is 3.2 and glibc is 2.3. These are very basic
> > changes that affect hundreds (thousands?) of packages.
> >
> > It would be very difficult to administer a frankensystem that runs some
> > stuff with libc6 2.2 and other stuff with libc6 2.3 (if it's even possible).
>
> I put "Apt::Default-Release='stable'" along with the testing listings in
> /etc/apt/sources.list.  I did it to get bogofilter.  About 6 extra
> packages came along (I think libc6 2.2 was one of them) but the system
> seemed perfectly happy to keep both libc6s around.
>
> I havn't seen any problems.
>
> Is there something lurking that's going to bite me?

Others know far more than I do about this.  FWIW I haven't tried it and I
do *not* intend to.  I'll stick with backports, thanks.

> p.s.  what are the backport packages called, and how does one find them
> (for something like bogofilter, for example)?

They're often called <packagenamewhatever>-woody, in my experience.
To find them, go check out apt-get.org.
What I do personally for backports is to add the relevant line to my
sources.list... eg the place I found for bogofilter:
  deb http://debian.ipsyn.net/debian woody ipsyn)
(do the obligatory apt-get update)
Then apt-get the *particular package* from the command-line
Then comment out the line in sources.list and do the obligatory apt-get
update again.

This prevents accidentally updating *other* packages to somebody's
unofficial version.

	-HTH