Re: what is this error message?

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 12:08:54PM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Fri, 2 May 2003 07:36:25 -0700
> "Rodney D. Myers" <rdmyers@pe.net> wrote:
> > > Do you want to run anything from unstable?  Yes, move to at least
> > > testing.
> >
> > Testing?
> >
> > Not sure I follow. Still very new to the Debian way?
> You meant you're very new, right? Paul knows his way around Debian pretty
> well.
> In the stable branch of Debian gcc is 2.95 and glibc(libc6) is 2.2. In
> testing and unstable gcc is 3.2 and glibc is 2.3. These are very basic
> changes that affect hundreds (thousands?) of packages.
> It would be very difficult to administer a frankensystem that runs some
> stuff with libc6 2.2 and other stuff with libc6 2.3 (if it's even possible).

I put "Apt::Default-Release='stable'" along with the testing listings in
/etc/apt/sources.list.  I did it to get bogofilter.  About 6 extra
packages came along (I think libc6 2.2 was one of them) but the system
seemed perfectly happy to keep both libc6s around.

I havn't seen any problems.

Is there something lurking that's going to bite me?

p.s.  what are the backport packages called, and how does one find them
(for something like bogofilter, for example)?

Ben Hartshorne
email: ben@hartshorne.net