Re: what is this error message?

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 12:08:54PM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Fri, 2 May 2003 07:36:25 -0700
> "Rodney D. Myers" <rdmyers@pe.net> wrote:
>
> > > Do you want to run anything from unstable?  Yes, move to at least
> > > testing.
> >
> > Testing?
> >
> > Not sure I follow. Still very new to the Debian way?
>
> You meant you're very new, right? Paul knows his way around Debian pretty
> well.
>
> In the stable branch of Debian gcc is 2.95 and glibc(libc6) is 2.2. In
> testing and unstable gcc is 3.2 and glibc is 2.3. These are very basic
> changes that affect hundreds (thousands?) of packages.
>
> It would be very difficult to administer a frankensystem that runs some
> stuff with libc6 2.2 and other stuff with libc6 2.3 (if it's even possible).

I put "Apt::Default-Release='stable'" along with the testing listings in
/etc/apt/sources.list.  I did it to get bogofilter.  About 6 extra
packages came along (I think libc6 2.2 was one of them) but the system
seemed perfectly happy to keep both libc6s around.

I havn't seen any problems.

Is there something lurking that's going to bite me?

-ben

p.s.  what are the backport packages called, and how does one find them
(for something like bogofilter, for example)?

--
Ben Hartshorne
email: ben@hartshorne.net