Re: vga in lilo

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:58:34PM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 01:16:42PM -0400, Soren Andersen wrote:
> >    - It is best to let lilo tell you what you can ask for. Get your next
> >      boot-up to include the directive "vga=ask" so that you can review
> >      the modes offered.

> However, not all videa cards that work with vga=791 display that when
> you pass "vga=ask" to lilo.  I had a Toshiba Laptop that behaved this
> way.  It was a Tecra 8100 IIRC.

I guess, then, that the only way is to read the FAQ/HOWTO (but the one
for lilo is not enough, you have to read framebuffer HOWTO and/or SVGA
HOWTO as well, I don't remember exactly which), *and* also just
experiment (which in a worst case with old monitors could leave you
crying).

BTW I believe the Tecra is specifically mention wrt to something known
as a "Tecra bug" in one of the HOWTOs. But I had to try to absorb such
volumes of info so fast, I couldn't possible warrant that it was in
regards to lilo and video.

--
GnuPG public key fingerprint:  BD26 A5D8 D781 C96B 9936  310F 0573 A3D9 4E24 4EA6