Re: what is this error message?

On Fri, 2 May 2003 07:36:25 -0700
"Rodney D. Myers" <rdmyers@pe.net> wrote:

> > Do you want to run anything from unstable?  Yes, move to at least
> > testing.
>
> Testing?
>
> Not sure I follow. Still very new to the Debian way?

You meant you're very new, right? Paul knows his way around Debian pretty
well.

In the stable branch of Debian gcc is 2.95 and glibc(libc6) is 2.2. In
testing and unstable gcc is 3.2 and glibc is 2.3. These are very basic
changes that affect hundreds (thousands?) of packages.

It would be very difficult to administer a frankensystem that runs some
stuff with libc6 2.2 and other stuff with libc6 2.3 (if it's even possible).

So if you want to run stable don't import packages from testing or unstable
-- you'll soon end up upgrading libc6 and gcc (and maybe hundreds of other
packages) to satisfy dependencies.

If you run testing you can install an unstable package here and there
without worrying about this, since gcc and libc6 are the same basic
versions.

If you absolutely must have "stable with some new stuff", get "new stuff"
packages that have been compiled with gcc 2.95 against libc6 2.2. Those
packages are known as "backports".

Kevin