Re: next debian stable ?

David Krider said:

> Yes it does. A lot. I upgraded my workstation to "unstable" *twice* and
> uninstalled it both times because I couldn't stand that some things were
> broken. "Yeah, well that's what you get for running unstable." True, but
> that's also the only way I can get the new features of KDE, which, it  may
> be said, I don't *have* to have, but I *like* them.

have you tried testing? I don't run testing at the moment but I did
run it for about a year before woody was released. Even on some servers
(it was either use testing or compile 50 different things from source,
and the source route wasn't working for me :) )

it's pretty stable, I didn't upgrade everyday maybe once every 2 months,
I usually exited out of X for my workstations before upgrading just
incase as well. Never had a major problem, probably had a few minor ones
but was always able to work around them. granted I have more then 4
years of experience working with debian and another 2-3 years of
linux/unix on top of that. and it probably also helped that I didn't
depend on the latest and greatest of everything(e.g. kde/gnome). maybe
I would of had more issues if I did use that stuff.

I did notice that the pilot-link package that you(?) were referring
to in the other thread about your PDA seemed to be the same version
(or real close) to that which is in unstable so maybe thats why
you jumped straight to unstable.

in any case, for any "newbie" that wants to go to unstable I'd
reccomend going to testing first, get a feel for what it's like then
move to unstable in a month or two.

I've never run unstable myself, maybe never will. I could see myself
possibly switching a system here and there to testing in another
8-10+ months though depending on whats happenin in the world of linux.

of course testing is the last distro to get security updates so
you usually need to be more careful in enviornments where security
is of major concern.

nate