Re: Exim & SMTP_AUTH

On 4/27/2003 11:07 AM,Burkhard Ritter used both thumbs to type:

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Steve A. wrote:

<snip>

Anyone setup SMTP_AUTH with Exim? I need this to connect to my Smarthost
(ISP), not for third parties logging into my Exim.

Thanks.

I think tls has not neccessarily something to do with smtp_auth. I set the
latter up successfully. Here are the appropriate snippets from exim.conf:

In the transport section:

remote_smtp:
  driver = smtp
  authenticate_hosts = [your isp-smtp-server]

In the authentication section:

login:
    driver = plaintext
    public_name = LOGIN
    client_send = ": [your account] : [your password]"

That did the trick for me. However, you might have to change some slight
details. Also have a look at the exim-documentation, as it was
satisfactory for me and got me started.

Excellent! Thanks to you and Rob Weir for the help and on a Sunday to boot.

I don't know why I didn't think of looking for a help text file, first thing I did was look at man, but it wasn't much help for smtp_auth, then the next inclination was google. I had found info regarding cram, but it didn't work. Anyway I'm now a happy camper and this will be added to the archives for someone else.

Thanks again.