Re: pilot-link in Sid and Sarge: Much bigger question

David Krider <david@davidkrider.com> wrote

> So I'm trying out Debian on the desktop. I'm a long-time Red Hat user
> who's given up on them because of their product strategy. I bought SuSE
> 8.2, and it's been great. I'm saying these things not to start a
> flamewar, but just to tell where I'm coming from. I'm just saying that I
> expect a lot of polish on the desktop.

Ever tried Polish Linux ? :-)

<skipped a long rant that summaries by 'my brand new toy is not
supported by Debian'>

You must be surely much relieved after typing all this ?

> So I'm reading the Debian Reference Guide, and I see how to pull in the
> source from Sid and compile it for Woody. Except that I need Python >=
> 2.2, which is also in Sid. (`apt-get build-dep -t unstable pilot-link'
> can't tell me that I need this; I only find out when I try to do a
> `dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot'. Am I doing something wrong there?)

Yes. Use a sid chroot on top of your woody install. Much safer and
simpler than backporting. The main drawback is the extra cost in
disk place, but I'd bet you are not the kind of user to worry about
that, are you ?

Installing a sid chroot is just a matter of running

debootstrap woody /sid http://ftp.debian.org/debian
chroot /sid
base-config
Upgrade to sid

Look at the dchroot package for more info.

Now for each package you can choose to run the woody or the sid version.

I suppose someone could write a package that do everything
automatically, copying /etc/passwd, /etc/hosts, adding fstab
entries, etc...

Woody+sid chroot is the best way to combine stability and
latest version.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.

PS: I am sorry if you get this twice. Since you have crossposted,
it was not clear if you were suscribed to both.