Re: Exim & SMTP_AUTH

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Steve A. wrote:

> Searched Google for help with this, and I found a good blog that gave
> instructions, however it suggested replacing the regular Exim package with
> Exim-tls. I'm using Sarge and it doesn't have Exim-tls it spits back this:
>
> "Package exim-tls has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> of sources.list"
>
> Anyone setup SMTP_AUTH with Exim? I need this to connect to my Smarthost
> (ISP), not for third parties logging into my Exim.
>
> Thanks.

I think tls has not neccessarily something to do with smtp_auth. I set the
latter up successfully. Here are the appropriate snippets from exim.conf:

In the transport section:

remote_smtp:
  driver = smtp
  authenticate_hosts = [your isp-smtp-server]

In the authentication section:

login:
    driver = plaintext
    public_name = LOGIN
    client_send = ": [your account] : [your password]"

That did the trick for me. However, you might have to change some slight
details. Also have a look at the exim-documentation, as it was
satisfactory for me and got me started.

Hope that helps.

Burkhard