Re: Switched from ext2 to ext3...no fsck needed after crash?

On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 13:04, nate wrote:
> Willem-Jan Meijer said:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I just switched from ext2 to ext3 because i've read you don't have to fsck
> > it after a crash (power supply failure)
> > So I made a journal and changed in /etc/fstab the ext2 to ext3 and i've
> > done a reboot.
> >
> > When I do mount I see /dev/hda1 is mounted as ext3.
> > I just want to be sure...when I get a crash and the computer resets
> > itself...I don't have to do a forced fsck?
>
> not a fsck in the traditional sense, the journal has to be checked
> but that goes much much faster. if you had a lot of disk writes going
> on at the time of the failure it may take a bit of time but still probably
> 10-20x+ faster then a normal fsck.
>
> on my redhat 7.3 system with 5x9GB drives in hardware raid 5(1.5GB ram),
> it takes about 4-5 seconds to do a jorunal check after an unclean
> shutdown.
>
> much faster then ext2..and if you were around in the 2.0.x days ext2
> back then was REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALY slow to fsck, I remmeber how happy
> I was to be able to upgrade to the newer ext2 format in the 2.2 kernels
> it probably halved the fsck time for the system.
>

> nate

There is a journal replay on an improper shutdown with ext3, but after a
number of restarts and/or time passing between checks, you do get a
traditional fsck as well. If it happens following a clean shutdown, it
is quicker than when you would typically encounter following a dirty
filesystems's fsck.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org