Re: apt-get isn't doing what I think it's supposed to

On Saturday, April 26, 2003, at 11:42 PM, Rodney D. Myers wrote:

I'm trying to install glitter (the news reader) on my new system. It
complains about not having gnome-libs, which is fine, as I did not
install gnome.

So I "su -", and attempted to do the following;

apt-get install gnome-libs

and I get the following;

apt-get install gnome-libs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package gnome-libs

do this:

apt-cache search gnome-lib

that will return a list of installable packages. the problem is that the name you gave apt does not match any names in the Data Base.what I typed aove lets you search for packages that nearly match what you query. you might get a lot.

what I would suggest is to just install gnome with an

apt-get install gnome

then you get the libs you need.

also, you might want to send an e-mail to the maintianer to see why they did not include the gnome libs in the dependancy resolution (unless you are running unstable which has quite a few unfinished packages.