Re: apt-get isn't doing what I think it's supposed to

Rodney D. Myers wrote:
I'm trying to install glitter (the news reader) on my new system. It
complains about not having gnome-libs, which is fine, as I did not
install gnome.

So I "su -", and attempted to do the following;

apt-get install gnome-libs

and I get the following;

apt-get install gnome-libs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package gnome-libs

I grepped the /var/lib/apt/*** (i can't remember the exact path) files,
and found that the apt-get source, has gnome-libs listed.

I'm not sure what the error "E:" means, nor am I not sure why it doesn't
go out and grab the file(s) needed.

Thanks

There is a /source/ package called gnome-libs, but no *binary* packages. The equivalent binary packages are probably gnome-bin and/or gnome-libs-data though I am completely guessing at what you want to install. More likely, you want to install something more specific and let whatever you mean by gnome-libs be drawn in as a dependency.