Re: DFSG-Free FPShooter

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 01:04:43AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> As far as fixing bugs, don't get me started on the bugs in Duke Nukem;
> explosion display and damage handling near objects and walls is
> particularly broken and was in the retail game too iirc. What a game
> company really has going for it is an art department. It's no
> cooincidence that the content is never freed along with these games.
> (Space Control II being a notable counter-example in a different genre.)

Well, I was mainly referring to the major bugs that would cause crashes.
Just to pick on Duke Nukem as an example, I can't think of any
particular area of the program that didn't have bugs. Input handling,
graphics, the pseudo-3D engine, everything. But the game was pretty hard
to crash once you got it set up and running, I only remember one thing
(throw out too many pipebombs).

But your point about an art department is quite valid. Projects building
mods and conversions for the currently-popular game engines like Unreal
Tournament are always looking for people who can make decent maps
(especially for single-player games, since it's more difficult and less
popular).

--
Michael Heironimus