Re: DFSG-Free FPShooter

Michael Heironimus wrote:
> Other first-person shooter engines under the GPL include the original
> Quake, Marathon/Aleph One, and (just recently) Duke Nukem 3D. I don't
> think any of them are packaged for Debian, and all of them have the same
> problem of having very little open source game content as Quake 2.
> However, all 3 are mature engines that had the benefit of being
> developed by a full-time paid staff that had to fix the bugs to sell the
> game and make money.

Duke Nuken will be packaged soon, I hope, probably in the contrib
section. A developer has already announced intent to do so. It also
includes the "build" engine on which Duke Nukem was based, which is a
basic first person engine, not very technically advanced, but does
include some basic demo games and can be used to create more. Crystal
Space is probably better. I think there is also an engine called "cube",
not in Debian.

As far as fixing bugs, don't get me started on the bugs in Duke Nukem;
explosion display and damage handling near objects and walls is
particularly broken and was in the retail game too iirc. What a game
company really has going for it is an art department. It's no
cooincidence that the content is never freed along with these games.
(Space Control II being a notable counter-example in a different genre.)

--
see shy jo