Re: xcdroast coasters

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 06:37:56AM -0400, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 06:14, Tom Allison wrote:
> > Paul Johnson wrote:

> > > Uhh, why?
> > > http://shop2.outpost.com/category/Outpost/PCtab/Drives+and+Upgrade+Cards/
> > >
> > > On that page, I see a CDRW for $45, and another for $75.
> > >

> > Then I guess that the stores in Detroit Michigan assume we are all rich
> > dupes.
> > The cheapest I can find is $80 locally.
>
> I'd offer that they are built in east Asia, and the extra $5 - $35 is
> shipping halfway across the US ;)

Dunno about that - my Initio SCSI card was shipped from Taiwan to some bunch
on the east coast of the US, then shipped back to my aunt in California, who
then sent it to me in the UK... cheaper than trying to buy it here!

On the original subject... I've got around to dismantling the Ricoh drive of
my earlier experiences. Turned out the soft plastic pinion that transfers
drive from the sled motor to the rack on the sled had split between two of
the teeth. Practically invisible, but it caused the sled movement to have a
couple of tight spots, the first of which seemed to more-or-less coincide
with the maximum radius out to which the thing would reliably burn.
Unfortunately, it's not possible either to remove the split gear or get hold
of a new one. For want of a nail, the battle was lost...

Pigeon