Re: X Window Problem (Linux Rookie)

Ziv said:

> as I've done pretty much everything I can imagine with XF86* files.
>
> Think there-in may be the trouble?
>
> Thanks for your time and effort Nate.

the problem isn't related to the Xfree config, its a kernel driver
that's not loaded. what kernel are you using ? (uname -r), if your
not using a 2.4.x kernel you should upgrade to one(apt-cache search
kernel-image-2.4), while i810 under 2.2.x is possible it's more of
a pain to get working then under 2.4.x

if you are running a 2.4.x kernel you may need to recompile the
kernel to get support(or at least get the source and compile the
module for it). looks like the bf2.4 kernel includes i810 support,
so I'd expect most of the other packaged debian kernels to
include such support.

once you have a 2.4.x kernel installed, run 'modprobe agpgart'
and "echo agpgart >>/etc/modules" (without the quotes of course),
and X should work after that ..

the reason for the driver is the i810 video chipset shares the
system memory for video memory, unlike normal video cards which
have dedicated video memory.

nate