Re: /var/lib/dpkg/info/packagename.md5sums: sometimes is missing

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 05:51:34AM +0200, Leonardo Tasso wrote:

This is broken. Please tell your mail user agent that you're
"leonardo@tasso.info", not just "leonardo", or else get your MTA to
rewrite Mail-Followup-To: as well as From:.

> I noticed the /var/lib/dpkg/info/packagename.md5sums sometimes is missing.
> For example the vim.md5sums there is not.

Yes, it's not a required file.

> Why this ? It it a tough security hole ?

No, simply that some maintainers think that dpkg should be modified to
do it automatically and oppose making .md5sums required until that's
done. In the meantime, use 'debsums -g' immediately after installing
packages.

Cheers,