Re: OT: Databases

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Jon Wood wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 13:48, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> > I don't know about the "most popoular" -- what I've done in the past is to
> > use PostgreSQL as the back end, and then use perl to write frontends.
> > These front ends have sometimes been text-only, sometimes GUI using
> > Perl/Tk, and sometimes web-based using CGI.
> An alternative to using Perl is (at the risk of starting a flame war :P)
> PHP (php.net) which while originally designed as a web based language,
> can now be used for text-only shell scripts and GTK based apps
> (gtk.php.net). It also has excellent documentation for most things,
> which as far I'm concerned makes it the best option around for script
> type apps.
>
> Using PEAR applications (pear.php.net) you can also get support for most
> database options, and several other things.
>
> Jon

*adds gasoline to the potential flame war*

I've never used it, but I know a lot of otherwise-non-programmers (and
programmers) who seem to be fond of python, which I've affectionately
heard called a pseudocode compiler.  :)

Jess

--
        ...crying "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"... ~ HPL
 icq : 34583382              |     === ascii ribbon campaign ===