From: Francisco Castellon [mailto:castf@shaw.ca]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 11:20 AM
To: Daniel L. Miller; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: Samba Access

Hi:

I was just finishing a Samba installation and I was having the same
problems you were, I could access the Samba shares from the Windows
machines but I didn't have write permissions. There are two things that
I did to get it to work properly. First go to the Webmin configuration
for any folder that you are sharing to all windows machines, in here
click the link that says "File permissions". Once in there look at the
permissions set for the directory and the file, make sure that they are
sufficient for the users to be able to write. I think that by default
Webmin sets the permissions at 755. If you haven't made any Samba groups
or users then you might want to set those permissions to 777 HOWEVER,
this is really not recommended since this means that you are giving your
users full access to the directory.

Once you have figured out the kinds of permissions you want to setup in
Webmin you also have to make sure that the actual directory has the
correct write permissions in shell. You can check the permissions by
running ls -l and you can change the permissions by using chmod. If you
don't have any users or groups set up for samba access and you just want
to give everyone full access to that directory then run the following
command:

chmod directoryname 777

And also set the permissions in Webmin to 777. Remember that after you
change something in the samba configuration in Webmin you have to
restart Samba for the changes to take effect, you can also do this
through Webmin at the push of a button.

Hope that helps.